Miles and I are adventure vacationers. Since getting married we've explored Mackinac Island; Arches National Park; Southwestern Colorado; New Mexico; Savannah, GA; New York City; Indianapolis; the Seattle area; and countless national and state parks. When we go on vacation, we tend to spend the whole time museum hopping, hiking, looking for rocks, and sightseeing. In between all of the fun, we seek out the best restaurants and eat our way through vacation. We always have a blast and the vacation is usually a spring board for our next vacation.
At Christmas, we went to Seattle and had a fabulous time. We did our usual adventure stuff, but because of the holiday, we also had a chance to relax and just really soak up our vacation time. After Seattle, I thought of nothing but a beach vacation... A whole week of soaking in vitamin D, reading, and sleeping.
It felt a little weird to do a beach vacation and up until the day we left, I had my doubts. I kept imagining Portland, Maine; the Redwood forest; and the Grand Tetons. I looked up last minute flight deals to Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and anywhere else other than Florida. Because if I should be taking a vacation, it should be an adventure.
Now, I couldn't imagine visiting someplace else (okay, I can, but...). I spent over 5 hours a day playing in the sand and in the waves, reading, sleeping, and just watching the water. I thought for sure Miles would be bored, but he enjoyed some much needed downtime, too. I might not have been an adventure, but it sure was a vacation.


i am really craving a vacation after reading this... not just because of how great the vacations/adventures you described sound, but because i realize i never go on vacation! i just go home to GA twice a year for major holidays to see my parents. i wish i had unlimited PTO at work and could just travel and do fun things all the time!
ReplyDelete